China’s Chen Meng wins ITTF Women’s World Cup title
China’s Chen Meng has been crowned as the winner of the first-ever ITTF Women’s World Cup title. Chen Meng is the world’s No.1 women tennis player at present. She defeated her Chinese compatriot Sun Yingsha by 11-13 11-6 11-9 11-6 11-8 to win the title. After winning the title, Chen said this has given a boost to her confidence for the next tournament i.e. ITTF Finals.
- The Dishang 2020 ITTF Women’s World Cup was held on 8 to 10 November 2020 at Weihai, China.
- The event marked the RESTART of the international table tennis which returned after 8 months due to pandemic. The series is also called #RESTART series of ITTF.
- After winning this title, the number of senior singles titles won by Chen has become 19.
- The bronze medal of the event was won by Japan’s Mima Ito who defeated Germany’s Han Ying.
- Men’s World Cup tournament will also be hosted in Weihai, China from November 13-15. The tournament will include 21 players including top-ranked Fan Zhendong and Olympic champion Ma Long.
- The final event of restart series will be ITTF Finals that will be held from November 19-22 in Zhengzhou, China.
About International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF)
Established in 1926, the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) is a federation that governs for all national-level table tennis associations. The founding members of the federation are Czechoslovakia, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Hungary, India, England, Sweden and Wales. The federation oversees the rules and regulations of the sport and also looks over the technological improvement in the sport. ITTF is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland and Germany’s Thomas Weikert is the present president of the Federation.
Category: Sports Current Affairs