Birth Centenary Celebrations of Pandit Bhimsen Joshi begins
The year-long Birth Centenary celebrations of legendary classical singer Pandit Bhimsen Joshi will begin on February 04, 2020.
More in news
- The Rithwik Foundation for performing arts also organised a two-day event in Mumbai to commemorate the timeless legacy of the great musical maestro.
- The event to celebrate the Birth Centenary is named as “SwarBhaskar 100”.
- The event will start with Jayateerth Mevundi’s rendition of some compositions of the Pandit Bhimsen Joshi.
- Apart from this event, Arya Sangeet Prasarak Mandal also organised a musical programme called ‘Abhivadan’. This was organised at the Ganesh Kala Krida Manch in Pune.
Who was Pandit Bhimsen Joshi?
- Pandit Bhimsen Gururaj Joshi was an Indian vocalist from Karnataka.
- He is famous for his known for the khayal form of singing.
- He also used to sing popular renditions of devotional music.
- He belongs to the Kirana gharana of Hindustani Classical Music.
- In the year 1964 to 1982 he visited Afghanistan, France, Italy, USA and Canada for concerts.
- His concerts were advertised by posters in New York. This happened for the first time for a musician from India.
- He also organised the Sawai Gandharva Music Festival annually. This was organised as homage to his guru, Pandit Sawai Gandharva.
He was awarded the Sangeet Natak Akademi Fellowship in the year 1998. It is the highest honour which is conferred by the Sangeet Natak Akademi. In the year 2009 he received, the India’s highest civilian honour, Bharat Ratna.
Hindustani classical music
It is the classical music of northern regions of the India. It is also called as the North Indian classical music or the shastriya sangeet. The origin of the shastriya sangeet dates back to the 12th century CE. In the 12th century, the Hindustani Classical Music got diverged from the classical music of southern Indian regions called the Carnatic Music.