Benchmarking India s Payment Systems
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) report “Benchmarking India s Payment Systems” provides a comparison of the payment ecosystem in India with the payment systems and usage trends in other major countries.
Findings of the Report
- Even though there was robust growth in the volume of retail electronic transactions amid a strong regulatory framework, India needs to enhance its payments acceptance infrastructure.
- India has a strong regulatory system and robust large value and retail payment systems. These have contributed to the rapid growth in the volume of transactions in these payment systems.
- India is required to take further efforts to bring down the volume of paper-clearing and increase acceptance infrastructure to enhance digital payments.
- The growth in the volume of payment systems transactions had been strong and steady, the relatively high level of cash in circulation offered scope for a higher level of digitisation of payments.
- There was an increase in Point of Sale (PoS) terminals, including mobile terminals. But they may not be enough to cater to the large population.
- There was a low digital payment of utility bills, despite the existence of the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS), an integrated interoperable bill payment system.
- Last few years since demonetisation have witnessed a sea change in the payments landscape, with large growth in digital payments.
- The volume growth of retail electronic transactions was 95% in 2018-19 compared to 51% in the previous year.
- This growth was attributed to the steep growth in the use of the Unified Payments Interface (UPI).
- The level of credit card penetration in India was low when compared to advanced countries
- Card infrastructure is required to be robust, strong and secure to encourage usage of cards
- The last-mile availability of PoS terminals is relatively lower in India and much needs to be done in this regard.
The RBI had undertaken the exercise of benchmarking India s payment systems vis- -vis payment systems in a mix of advanced economies, Asian economies and the BRICS nations.
1st BRICS Employment Working Group (EWG) Meeting
The first BRICS Employment Working Group was held virtually. It was hosted by India. India assumed B...
RBI announces Second Tranche of purchase under G-SAP 1.0
The Reserve Bank of India recently announced that the second tranche of open market purchase of Gove...
RBI to conduct first SLTRO for small finance banks
The Reserve Bank of India recently announced that it is to conduct the first Special Long Term Repo ...
RBI sets up Committee to assist RRA 2.0
The Reserve Bank of India recently constituted a Committee under the Managing Director S Janaki Rama...
T Rabi Sankar named RBI deputy governor
The Government of India recently appointed T Rabi Shankar as the fourth Deputy Governor. ContentsAbo...
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|