Asian Youth Championships: 6 Gold medals for India
Indian boxers won six gold medals along with nine silver and five bronze medals in the Asian Youth Championship.
- In the event, women’s competition was significantly depleted because of pullouts caused by COVID-19 related travel restrictions.
- Preeti Dahiya, Sneha Kumari, Khushi and Neha won the gold medals in the women’s draw.
- Out of 10 women finalists, six made directly to the finals because of small size of their respective draws.
- Dahiya defeated Kazakhstan’s Zuldyz Shayakmetova by 3-2.
- Khushi defeated Dana Diday of Kazakhstan by 3-0 in bouts.
- Bishwamitra Chongtham and Vishal are the gold-winners in the men’s competition.
- Preeti, Khushi, Tanisha Sandhu, Nivedita, Tamanna and Simran won the silver medals in women’s competition.
- Vishvanath Suresh, Vanshaj and Jaydeep Rawat won silver medals in men’s competition.
Five Indian boxers, including one woman, earlier won bronze medals in youth event after they lose in semi-finals. Daksh, Deepak, Abhimanyu and Aman Singh Bisht won the bronze medals. In women’s category, Lashu Yadav won bronze medal.
Last edition of the competitions
Last edition of Asian Youth Championships was held in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. India had won 12 medals, including five gold. The gold medallists in youth category were awarded with USD 6,000, silver medallists got USD 3,000 while bronze medallists got USD 1,500. In the junior competition held along with the Championships, India had won eight gold, five silver and six bronze medals.
Asian Youth Athletics Championships
It is a biennial, continental athletics competition held for Asian athletes. It is organised by the Asian Athletics Association. The first championships were held in 2015. It is a youth category event that is held for athletes aged fifteen and seventeen.
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|