Artemis: NASA s Mission to Moon
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has unveiled an updated budget request seeking more than $1 billion in additional funding to accelerate the return of astronauts to the moon by 2024.
Features of the Artemis Mission
- Artemis stands for Acceleration, Reconnection, Turbulence and Electrodynamics of the Moon’s Interaction with the Sun.
- Artemis is the twin sister of Apollo, which was the name of the NASA s Mission which first landed Americans on the moon in 1969.
- Artemis is expected to land at the South Pole.
- Artemis is expected to land the first woman on the moon.
- The mission to land on the moon would take place during the third launch of the Space Launch System.
- Astronauts would first stop at the orbiting lunar outpost. They would then take a lander to the surface near its south pole, where frozen water exists within the craters.
Some remain sceptical that the mission will even happen. Certainly ambitious, the timeline borders for the mission are said to be unrealistic.