US approves sale of two missile defence systems for Air India One
The US President has approved the sale of two missile defence systems for Air India One. The two missile defence systems Large Aircraft Infrared Countermeasures (LAIRCAM) and Self-Protection Suites (SPS) will enhance the security of planes flying the prime minister and the president.
Enhancing the Security of Prime Minister and President
The new defence systems are being acquired given the high-level threat to the prime minister and the president. The features of the new systems are:
- LAIRCM protect large aircraft from man-portable missiles.
- LAIRCAM system increases crew-warning time, decreases false alarm rates and automatically counters advanced intermediate range missile systems.
- The missile warning subsystem will use multiple sensors to provide full spatial coverage and the counter-measures subsystem will use lasers mounted in pointer-tracker turret assemblies.
- The countermeasure systems will also automatically counters advanced intermediate range missile systems with no action required by the crew.
- SPS will facilitate a more robust capability into areas of increased missile threats.
These defence systems would be installed at two Boeing 777 Head-of- State aircraft which carries President and Prime Minister.
Category: Defence Current Affairs