Annual Status of Education Report 2019
On January 14, 2020, the Non-Profit Organization Pratham released its annual report, Annual Status of Education Report, 2019. The report is based on the survey conducted in 26 districts that covers 36,000 children in the age group of 4 to 8 years.
Key Findings of the report
- Number of girls enrolled in government schools is higher than number of boys. On the other hand, number of boys enrolled in private institutions is higher than that of girls
- The report says that around 56.8% of girls and 50.4% of boys are enrolled in government schools.
- In the age group of 6-8 years, 61.1% of girls and 52.1% of boys were enrolled in government institutions.
- According to RTE act, 2009 (Right to Education act), children should enter Class I at the age of 6. But according to the report, 4 out of every 10 children entering Class I are less than 5 years old.
Suggestions of the report
- The existing network of Anganwadi Centres should be strengthened and expanded.
- Early language, numeracy, social and emotional learning tasks are closely related to age of the children. Therefore, it is mandatory to put children into primary grades at the right age.
The age band of children between 4 and 8 are seen as continuous progressive stages, Therefore, utmost importance should be given in designing curriculum for these stages
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs