Advisory for Human-Wildlife Conflict Management
The National Board of Wildlife recently approved advisory for Human-Wildlife Conflict Management.
About the Advisory
- The advisory empowers the Gram Panchayats to deal with problematic wild animals according to the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.
- It encourages to use the crop compensation allocated under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana against crop damage due to human-wildlife conflict.
- The Inter-Departmental Committees at state and local level should adopt early warning systems and dedicate circle wise control rooms. They should operate toll free numbers that could be operated 24/7.
Apart from providing the advisory the National Board of Wildlife has also included Caracal into list of critically endangered species. Caracal is a medium sized wild cat found in Currently there are twenty-two wild life species under the programme for Critically Endangered species.
What is the Recovery Programme for Critically Endangered Species?
It is one of the three components of centrally funded scheme Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitats. The programme was started in 2009. The Critically Endangered species included under the Recovery Programme for Critically Endangered Species are as follows:
- Snow Leopard
- Bustard (includes Floricans)
- Nilgiri Tahr
- Marine Turltes
- Edible Nest Swiftlet
- Asian Wild Buffalo
- Manipur Brow-antlered Deer
- Nicobar Megapode
- Malabar Civet
- Asiatic Lions
- Indian Rhinoceros
- Swamp Deer
- Jerdon’s Courser
- Norther River Terrapin
- Clouded Leopard
- Arabian Sea Humpback Whale
- Red Panda
What is Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitat?
It was launched during the eleventh five-year plan. The Integrated Development of Wildlife Habitat is an ongoing Centrally sponsored scheme. The three main components of the programme are as follows:
- Support to Protected Areas
- Recovery Programme to save Critically Endangered Species
- Protection of wildlife outside protected areas
Category: Environment Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|