Current Affairs : August 11, 2011
China launches communications satellite for Pak
- China launches a Communications Satellite for Pakistan in the coming days
- The satellite, PAKSAT-1R, carried by a Long March-3B carrier rocket
- PAKSAT-1R, which is a part of Pakistan’s Space Programme-2040
- China launched PAKSAT-1R for Pakistan’s SUPARCO (Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission) on August 11 from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center, in Sichuan Province, China.
- The satellite has a design life sof 15 years and will provide TV broadcasting, Internet and data communication services across South and Central Asia, Eastern Europe, East Africa and the Far East.
- China and Pakistan share a long history of space technology cooperation. Pakistan’s first low-orbit satellite, BADR-A, was launched by China in 1990 with Long March 2E rocket.
Nose as Brain Damaging Herpes Virus Entry: Research
- Researchers have claimed that the human nose acts as a gateway to several types of viruses linked to brain disorders. According to the researchers, the nose can be a portal to herpes virus-6(HHV-6), which is a member of herpes viruses family.
- The virus is responsible for brain disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, encephalitis and epilepsy.
- As per
Neurovirology expert from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Dr. Steven Jacobson who conducted the research, the virus also causes roseola, a disease common among infants, which leads to high fever and skin rashes.
- Until now, it has been a mystery as to how the virus enters the brain given our intelligence which is largely protected by the so-called blood-brain barrier that filters out many germs and drugs.
Lok Sabha pay homage to freedom fighter Khudiram Bose
- The Lok Sabha paid tribute to freedom fighter Khudiram Bose (1889-1908) who gave his life on this day in 1908 to liberate the nation from colonialism and imperialism.
- Members joined the Chairman Ms. Meira Kumar paying tribute to the great son of the soil who will always be an inspiration to the country’s citizens.
- The House also paid tribute to all freedom fighters to others who sacrificed their lives in the struggle for freedom of the nation
Govt asks National Space Commission to regularly review functioning of ISRO, Antrix
- Government calls on the Space Commission to periodically review the functioning of ISRO’s commercial arm Antrix and
- Several steps to improve the functioning and effectiveness of the Space Commission have been put in
- This was done against the backdrop of the controversial agreement Antrix-Devas
- In order to facilitate co-ordination between the DoS and Antrix, a co-ordination management committee headed by Secretary, DoS has been set up
- INSAT Coordination Committee has also been reconstituted
- Space Commission, the apex policy making for issues related to space, has also been requested to conduct appropriate peer review periodically in relation to governance and systemic reforms
- The Antrix Board was reconstituted with the appointment of full time Chairman-cum-Managing Director
- VS Hegde, ISRO’s scientific secretary, has been appointed as CMD Antrix Corporation, with effect from July 7, 2011
- The Space Commission had recommended a structural revamp of Antrix against the backdrop of its controversial deal with Devas Multimedia to lease out bulk transponders on two satellites to the private firm
Government assure LS on Caste based census
- Government assured the Lok Sabha today that the caste based census will go ahead and problems in implementing this decision will be resolved
- The Cabinet has already approved a resolution to this effect
Coinage Bill 2011 passed by Lok Sabha
- The Parliament passed the Coinage Bill 2011 with the Rajya Sabha considering the Bill
- The Bill was passed by Lok Sabha previously
- Objective: Bill aims to consolidate the laws relating to coinage and the mints, the protection of coinage and to provide for the prohibition of melting or destruction of coins and prohibit the making or the possession thereof for issue and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto be taken into consideration
- Simultaneous amendment will be brought into the Indian penal code to match the different levels of punishment for coin melting and counterfeiting
Committee set up by BCAS to study security of the Aero City Project
- A committee has been set up by BCAS (Bureau of Civil Aviation Security) to examine the security aspects related to the Aero City Project coming up near IGI Airport in Delhi
- Actions to be taken following the recommendations of the committee
SBI, Subsidiary Banks Laws Amendment Bill 2009 passed by Lok Sabha
- The Lok Sabha passed the State Bank of India, Subsidiary Banks Laws Amendment Bill, 2009
- The Bill further amends the State Bank of Hyderabad Act, 1956 and the State Bank of India Subsidiary Banks Act, 1959
- Bill seeks to improve the performance of the subsidiary banks of the State Bank and they will continue to have their functional autonomy