Number of Branches and ATMs in India
The following table shows the number of the commercial bank branches in India as of March 2013.
|Public Sector Banks||23286||18854||14649||13632||70421|
|Private Sector Banks||1937||5128||3722||3797||14584|
|Regional Rural Banks||12722||3228||891||166||17007|
In 2009, the number of total branches in the country stood at 80,200. The following table shows the growth of the branches in the country in last five years.
|March 31, 2009||31476||19126||15273||14325||80200|
|March 31, 2010||32493||20855||16686||15446||85480|
|March 31, 2011||33905||23114||17599||16419||91037|
|March 31, 2012||36356||25797||18781||17396||98330|
|March 31, 2013||37953||27219||19327||17844||102343|
As of March 2013, the number of ATMs in India is as follows:
|Public Sector Banks||8552||18445||22518||20137||69652|
|Old Private Sector Banks||768||2760||2354||1684||7566|
|New Private Sector Banks||2214||6484||10995||15842||35535|
Other important information about branch banking in India is as follows:
- In December 1969, there were just 8826 scheduled commercial bank branches in India. This number was 59,762 in March 1990 and stands at 1,02,343 end of March 2013. Out of the 102,343 branches of Scheduled Commercial Banks (SCBs), 37,953 (37%) bank branches are in the rural areas and 27,219 (26%) in semi-urban areas, constituting 63 per cent of the total numbers of branches in semi-urban and rural areas of the country.
- The Nationalized banks have around 4 times the number of branches of the Private sector banks in India.
- Per cent of ATMs to Branches stands maximum for the Foreign Banks.
- The number of ATMs Private sector banks is almost equal to the number of ATMs in Nationalized Banks, but half of the number of Public Sector Bank ATMs. This indicated the high number of ATMs of the SBI group.
- There are 6 Lakh villages in India as per 2001 Census. The Average Population per Bank Branch (APBB) as on 31.3.2013 stands at 12,100. The The average population per branch office was 64,000 in 1969.
As per Census 2011, 58.7% households (67.8% urban & 54.4% rural ) are availing banking services in the country. Thus, a significant proportion of the households, especially in rural areas, are still outside the formal fold of the banking system.
Last Updated: June 16, 2015