Telangana Rice Procurement Issues
The government of Telangana has begun procuring paddy from the farmers of the state. The announcement for procurement was announced by Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao. A meeting regarding the procurement was held by Gangula Kamalakar, State Civil Supplies Minister.
- 65 lakh metric tonnes of paddy will be procured by the state government in the current season.
- Check posts will be set up by the government to prevent paddy from being brought into the procurement centres of the state from other states.
- The Collectors of the state have been ordered to set up a special control room through which the progress of procurement of paddy in the districts will be monitored on a daily basis.
- A state-level special control room is also being set up.
- The state government will be purchasing paddy at a minimum support price (MSP).
The issue regarding paddy procurement
In Telangana, the production of paddy has witnessed seen a massive rise over the past few years, largely due to the availability of an abundant supply of water for irrigation, an uninterrupted power supply, and the Rythu Bandhu welfare scheme. In last year’s Kharif season, 10.6 million tonnes of paddy were produced in the state. The centre refused to purchase the entire stock and refused to buy more than 6 million tonnes. The farmers of the state started protesting in front of the state government’s procurement centres to sell the paddy and the related products. The government of Telangana has also been demanding the central government urging them to buy 100 per cent of the paddy produced in Telangana.
Category: States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|