Swachh Survekshan 2022
The Swachh Survekshan 2022 rankings have been released. This year’s edition covered 4,354 cities across India.
- The Swachh Survekshan is a list of India’s cleanest cities released by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- This initiative was started in 2016 to encourage urban sanitation. It is the largest urban cleanliness and sanitation survey in the world.
- The cities are assessed based on 3 parameters- service level progress (worth 3,000 marks), certification (worth 2,250 marks) and citizens’ voice (worth another 2,250 marks). This adds to a total of 7,500 marks.
- The 2022 edition listed Indore as the cleanest city (with more than 1 lakh population)- marking the 6th time the city of lakes and palaces topped the Swachh Survekshan list. Following Indore, Surat (2nd spot for 2nd consecutive year) and Navi Mumbai were named as the 2nd and 3rd cleanest cities respectively.
- Indore has become India’s 1st 7 star Garbage Free city. The title of 5 star Garbage Free city was conferred to Surat, Bhopal, Mysuru, Vishakhapatnam, Navi Mumbai and Tirupati.
- Among cities with less than 1 lakh population, the list was topped by Panchgani in Maharashtra, followed by Patan (NP) in Chhattisgarh and Karhad in Maharashtra.
- Among the Ganga towns with more than 1 lakh population, Haridwar in Uttarakhand was named the cleanest city, followed by Varanasi and Rishikesh.
- Among Ganga towns with less than 1 lakh population, Bijnor was listed as the cleanest, followed by Kannauj and Garhmukhteshwar.
- Apart from this, Tirupati was given the best city award in the Safai Mitra Suraksha. Shivamogga in Karnataka got the fast mover city award.
- Among the states, Madhya Pradesh was named as the top performer, followed by Chhattisgarh and Maharashtra.
- Among states having less than 100 ULBs (urban local bodies), the list was topped by Tripura.
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|