Department of Social Justice & Empowerment launched the “SMILE: Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise” scheme on February 12, 2022, in New Delhi.
About SMILE Scheme
SMILE is a Central Sector scheme. It is dubbed as Support for Marginalised Individuals for Livelihood and Enterprise. It was launched by Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment. The scheme has been designed for providing welfare measures to Transgender community and people engaged in begging.
Sub-schemes under SMILE
The scheme comprises of two sub-schemes namely,
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons.
- Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging.
Objectives of the scheme
SMILE scheme seeks to strengthens and expands the reach of Rights that give necessary legal protection and secured life to targeted group. It keeps in mind the social security required through multiple dimensions of identity, education, medical care, shelter, and occupational opportunities.
Funds for the scheme
Ministry has allocated Rs. 365 Crore for the scheme for the financial year 2021-22 to 2025-26.
Components of ‘Central Sector Scheme for Comprehensive Rehabilitation for Welfare of Transgender Persons’
- Scholarships for Transgender Students studying in IX and till post-graduation to complete their education.
- Skill Development and Livelihood under PM-DAKSH scheme
- Composite Medical Health package in convergence with PM-JAY to support Gender-Reaffirmation surgeries through selected hospitals
- Shelter Homes ‘Garima Greh’, where all the basis facilities (food, clothing, medical support) recreational facilities and skill development opportunities, will be provided.
- Transgender Protection Cell will be set up in each state for monitoring cases of offences and ensuring timely registration, investigation and prosecution.
Components of ‘Comprehensive Rehabilitation of persons engaged in the act of Begging’
- Survey and Identification of beneficiaries by Implementing Agencies.
- Outreach work will be done for mobilising the persons engaged in begging to avail services available in Shelter Homes.
- Shelter homes will facilitate education for children engaged in the act of Begging.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|