Revamped Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan
Rs.5911 crores have been approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs for the continuation of the ‘Rashtriya Gram Swaraj Abhiyan’ (RGSA). The scheme has been extended for a period of four years from 1st April 2022 to 31st March 2026 with the aim of developing the Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRIs) governance capabilities.
- The scheme will also be focusing on empowering the elected representatives of Panchayati raj institutions for various leadership roles
- It will also be aiming to help 2.78 lakh rural local bodies across the country achieve sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- The revamped RGSA will ensure that development happens in villages and will bridge the gap present between the urban and rural areas.
- Rs 5,911 crore is the total financial outlay for this scheme with the central government providing Rs 3,700 crore while the states will provide Rs 2,211 crore.
Aim of the scheme
Under this scheme, capabilities will be developed to deliver the SDGs through local governance that will be inclusive along with a focus on the optimum utilisation of all available resources. Through this scheme, the PRIs will be able to deliver SDG localization based on the themes that are
- healthy, child-friendly, and water sufficient village
- enhanced livelihood and poverty-free villages
- village infrastructure that will be self-sufficient and socially secured villages
- green and clean village
- engendered development in the village
- village with good governance
Strengthening of Gram Sabhas
This initiative will also be strengthening the Gram Sabhas so that they can function as an effective institution and also include vulnerable groups. Also, the focus will be given to the capacity development like adequate infrastructure and human resources of the PRIs at the national, district, and state levels.
Strengthening of Panchayats
Under this scheme, the Panchayats will be able to strengthen themselves progressively through various incentives that will be provided on the basis of the criteria of recognizing Panchayats’ roles in achieving SDGs and instilling the spirit of healthy competition.
Category: Government Schemes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|