Presidential Elections- Key Facts
Voting for the presidential election lasted on July 18, 2022. 98.90 percent of electors were allowed to vote in Parliament house.
- The election is pitted between NDA candidate Droupadi Murmu and joint opposition pick Yashwant Sinha.
- Polling started with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vote.
- According to Election Commission, more than 99 per cent of total electors cast their ballot.
- Out of 736 electors (727 MPs and 9 MLAs), 728 electros (719 MPs and 9 MLAs) cast their votes.
- Counting is scheduled to be done on July 21, 2022.
The term of President Ram Nath Kovind will end on July 24, 2022. According to Presidential and Vice-Presidential Elections Act 1952, a notification calling for election is issued by Election Commission on or after 60th day, before the term of current President ends.
Presidential Election in India
In India, The President is elected by the members of an electoral college. The electoral college comprises of-
- Elected members of Lok Sabha (LS)
- Elected members of Rajya Sabha (RS)
- Elected members of Legislative Assemblies of states, including Delhi and Puducherry.
The nominated members from both the House of Parliament or Legislative Assemblies are not eligible to cast vote or they are not the members of electoral college. Thus, the electoral college comprises of 543 members of LS, 233 members of RS and 4120 members of Legislative Assemblies.
Voting in the Presidential election is done on the basis of “system of proportional representation” through single transferable vote. No election symbol is put on the ballot paper. But it comprises of two columns. First column comprises of the name of candidates while second column has the order of preference. Members of electoral college are supposed to mark their preference against each candidate. Later, votes are counted. Members do not abstain from voting. Ballot paper is not cancelled in case preference is not properly marked.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: Legal & Constitution Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|