NPPA increases stent prices by around 2%
Drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has increased price of stents by around 2% after taking into account wholesale price index.
It will increase price of bare metal stents to Rs. 7,400 rupees from Rs. 7,260 and of drug-eluting stent to Rs. 30,180 rupees from Rs. 29,600.
What is coronary stent?
- A coronary stent is a tube-shaped mediacal device placed in the arteries that supply blood to the heart.
- It keeps the arteries open in the treatment of coronary heart diseases.
- Bare-metal stent: It is a mesh-like tube of thin wire used in cardiac arteries was bare metal often made of 316L stainless steel. More recent stents (‘2nd generation’) use cobalt chromium alloy.
- Drug-eluting stents: It is a peripheral or coronary stent placed into narrowed, diseased peripheral or coronary arteries that slowly releases a drug to block cell proliferation.
- It is often preferred over bare-metal stents because the latter carry a higher risk of restenosis, the growth of tissue into the stent resulting in vessel narrowing.
In July 2016, stents were included in the National List of Essential Medicines (NLEM) and were added to the Schedule I of the Drug Prices Control Order, 2013, in December 2016, bringing the devices under price control. In February 2017, the NPPA had brought stents under price control and capped ceiling price of coronary stents. It was the first medical device to be brought under price control.
About National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)
- NPPA is nodal government regulatory agency that controls the prices of pharmaceutical drugs in India. It functions under the aegis of Union Ministry of Chemical and Fertiliser.
- It advices Union Government in matters relate to drug policies and pricing and revisions/changes in the drug policy. It also monitors availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps.
- NPPA decides the ceiling prices of essential medicines under The Drug (Prices Control) Order 2013.
Category: Science & Technology Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|