Nine District Disability rehabilitation centres upgraded across India
The upgraded district disability rehabilitation centres (DDRC) have speech, visual therapy and psychologists.
- The upgraded model DDRCs are situated in Badaun, Pilibhit, Bareilly, Balaghat, Golaghat, Ahmedabad, Amravati, Kullu and Rampur.
- They were virtually inaugurated by the Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- In these model DDRCs, services like hearing aids testing lab, speech therapy room, visual therapy room, psychologist room, physiotherapist room, gait practice parallel bar and telemedicine/tele-therapy facilities are provided.
- They will also assist persons with disabilities to register in the Unique Disability ID portal.
- The model DDRCs are established to provide effective rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities.
- They were upgraded by the Department of Empowerment of Persons With Disability, which comes under the aegis of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
The District Disability Rehabilitation Centre (DDRC) is an initiative of the Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment that aims to provide comprehensive services to Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) in rural parts of India. They have been operating across India for the past 20 years. These centres have rehabilitation professions providing services like identifying Persons with Disabilities, creating awareness, early detection and intervention, Providing, fitting and repairing Assistive Devices and facilitating disability certificates, bus passes and other concessions/facilities targeting PwDs. These centres were set up and funded under the Scheme for Implementation of Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (SIPDA).
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 was passed by the Indian Parliament to fulfil its obligations under the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which was ratified by India in 2007. This Act replaced the Persons With Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
Topics: Convention on rights of persons with disabilities • Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) • Ministry of Social Justice • Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment • Persons with Disabilities
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|