Kerala’s Kaval Plus programme
Department of Women & Child Development in Kerala has decided to expand Kaval Plus programme to five districts, after the success of this pilot project in two districts of Kerala.
What is Kaval Plus Programme?
- It is an ambitious programme to lend holistic support to children in need of care & protection and to the survivors of sexual abuse.
- Project has reached out to about 300 children in Thiruvananthapuram district and 150 children in Palakkad district.
- It will now be implemented in Ernakulam, Idukki, Malappuram, Kozhikode, and Kannur districts.
- It covers both children at homes and child care institutes.
- Now, vulnerable children in the community outside the purview of child welfare committees (CWCs) and other agencies would also be included.
This programme was launched in December 2020 in two districts of Kerala, namely Thiruvananthapuram and Palakkad. This scheme was launched because, 15 homes of Children in Kerala account for about 500 inmates and leave 96% of high-risk children in need of support unprotected in community.
Early identification system
An early identification system will also be launched under the programme using community-level workers like Asha and Anganwadi workers.
Who implements the project?
This project is being implemented with help and support of NGOs who have experience in working with children. Two NGOs are selected in each district by a committee of district child protection officer, CWC representative and protection officer. These NGOs will not work in silos but in association with child protection agencies.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2021
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|