On July 14, 2022 US President Joe Biden and Prime Minister of Israel Yair Lapid inked a joint strategic declaration in Jerusalem, which is officially called as “Jerusalem US-Israel Strategic Partnership Joint Declaration”.
About Jerusalem Declaration
- In the Jerusalem Declaration, US pledge to use all elements under its national power, to ward off Iran from getting nuclear weapons.
- As a part of declaration, US has affirmed the commitment for working in association with other partners to oppose Iran’s aggression and destabilizing activities, either directly or through proxies and terrorist organizations including Hamas, Hezbollah, and Palestinian Islamic Jihad.
- USA and Israel have committed to continue discussions regarding challenges and opportunities in Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- However, US President has affirmed his support of a two-state solution as well to progress toward a reality in which Israelis and Palestinians can get equal measures of security, prosperity and freedom. The United States is set to work with Israel, Palestinian Authority, as well as regional stakeholders to achieve this objective.
- Jerusalem declaration also comprises of US commitment to completely implement the terms of USD 38 billion memorandum of understanding.
Cooperation in defence technologies
United States and Israel also committed for cooperation in “cutting-edge defence technologies like high energy laser weapons systems to protect Israel and other security partners of US and Israel.
USD 38 billion MoU
The USD 38 billion MOU was signed in 2016, for security assistance. It is an agreement of 10-year. It came into effect in 2018.
Jerusalem Declaration also highlights the importance of Abraham Accords as well as Negev Forum which was started in Manama in June 2022. Abraham Accords is a joint peace declaration which was inked on September 15, 2020. It seeks to normalize the diplomatic relations between Bahrain, Israel and the United Arab Emirates.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Category: International / World Current Affairs
Topics: Abraham Accords
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|