International Day of Living Together in Peace: May 16
Every year, the International Day of Living Together in Peace is celebrated by United Nations and several other organisations in different parts of the world.
About International Day of Living Together in Peace
- The day is celebrated to achieve international cooperation, promoting respect for human rights and freedom for all irrespective of their race, sex, religion and language.
- The United Nations proclaimed the decade 2001 to 2010 as the International Decade for a Culture of Peace and Non-violence for children of the world.
- The International Day of Living Together in Peace was established to protect the succeeding generations from war.
- In 1997, the United Nations passed a resolution to celebrate the year 2000 as the International Year for Culture of Peace.
- In 1999, the United Nations adopted a resolution called the “Declaration and Programme of Action on a Culture of Peace”. It serves as the universal mandate to promote culture of peace and non-violence.
International Day of Peace
The International Day of Peace is different from the International Day of Living Together in Peace. The International Day of peace is also celebrated by the United Nation. It is clebrated on September 16.
United Nations Peacekeeping Force
It was established in 1945. There are 90,905 active uniformed personnel working under the UN Peacekeeping force. It focuses on peacemaking, peace building, and peace enforcement. They are also referred to as Blue Berets or Blue helmets for their blue-coloured helmets and berets. Beret is a soft round cap.
UN Peacekeeping Funds
It is compulsory for the members of the United Nations to pay their respective share towards United Nations peace keeping. The United Nations approved budget of 6.58 billion USD for peacekeeping operations.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2021
Category: Important Days & Events Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|