India’s first Water Plus City
India’s cleanest city, Indore, has now been declared as India’s first water plus city under the Swachh Survekshan 2021.
- Indore has become example for whole nation for its determination and dedication towards cleanliness.
- Indore City received this certification from central government on August 11, 2021.
- This certification is provided for maintaining cleanliness in rivers and drains.
How this certification is provided?
To get the certification, following criteria has been set:
- dirty water should not go into any river or drain.
- Further, 30 percent of the city’s sewer water needs to be recycled and reused.
- Public toilets must be connected to sewer lines and it must be cleaned.
About Swachh Survekshan
It is an annual survey of cleanliness, hygiene and sanitation across cities and towns in India. It was launched under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan. This abhiyan was started with the aim of making India clean and free of open defecation by October 2, 2019. The first survey was done in 2016 and covered 73 cities. By 2020, survey grown to cover 4242 cities. It was tagged as the largest cleanliness survey across the world.
Sixth edition of survey
To scale up the coverage of ranking exercise and encourage towns and cities to actively implement mission initiatives, Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) conducted sixth edition of the survey to rank all cities under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban in association with the Quality Council of India .
Objective of the survey
This survey is conducted with the objective of encouraging large scale citizen participation and ensure sustainability of initiatives towards garbage free and open defecation free cities. Survey also seeks to instil the spirit of healthy competition amongst towns and cities in order to improve their service delivery to citizens.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|