India to take over as President of UNSC for August
From August India will be the president of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the month and then the nation will host various events in the three major areas of fight against terrorism, maritime security and peacekeeping.
- S. Tirumurti India’s permanent representative to the UN will hold a press conference on the Security Council’s work plan for the month.
- He will also provide a briefing to UN member states which are currently not permanent members of the Council on its work for the month.
- On January 1, 2021 India’s two-year term as a non-permanent member of the Security Council began. The August presidential term will be India’s first chairmanship during its non-permanent membership of the Security Council in 2021-22.
- India will again chair the Council in December next year, which is the last month of its two-year term.
- During India’s presidency, the nation will be hosting various high-level events in the three main areas of counter-terrorism, maritime security and peacekeeping.
- Maritime security is India’s top priority, and it is important for the Security Council to take a holistic approach to this issue.
- India is particularly focused on using better technology to ensure the safety of peacekeepers and how to bring perpetrators of crimes against peacekeepers to justice.
- As a leading country in the fight against terrorism, India will continue to focus on the fight against terrorism.
The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) is one of the six main organs of the United Nations (UN). It is responsible for ensuring international peace and security, approving any changes to the UN Charter and recommending the admission of new UN members to the General Assembly. Its powers include establishing enacting international sanctions, peacekeeping operations and authorizing military operations. The UN Security Council is the only UN agency that has the authority to issue binding resolutions for member states. António Guterres is the current Secretary-general of UNSC.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2021
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|