Indermit Gill: World Bank Chief economist from India
Indermit Gill has recently been appointed as Chief Economist and Senior Vice President of Development Economics of the World Bank. He will succeed American economist Carmen Reinhart, for the post.
- Indermit Gill will be appointed on September 1, 2022.
- He is currently the Vice President for Equitable Growth, Finance, and Institution and is leading the work on macroeconomics, debt, poverty, trade, and governance.
- For the post of Chief economist, he will bring the combination of leadership, practical experiences and invaluable by working with country governments on macroeconomic imbalances, growth, institutions, poverty, conflict, and climate change.
- He is known for his intellectual contributions towards development economics.
- He has become only the second Indian to serve as chief economist at the World Bank. Before him, Kaushik Basu had worked as Chief Economist from 2012 to 2016.
Chief Economist of the World Bank:
Chief Economist of the World Bank is the senior economist there. He is tasked to provide intellectual leadership and direction to the overall international development strategy and economic research agenda of the World Bank. Strategy is provided at the country, regional and global levels. He is the member of senior management team of the World Bank, and thus he gives advice to the President and Management on economic issues.
It is an international financial institution, which provides loans and grants to the governments across low-income and middle-income countries to start capital projects. The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and International Development Association (IDA) are collectively called as World Bank.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
Topics: Chief Economist of the World Bank • Indermit Gill • International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) • International Development Association (IDA) • World Bank • World Bank Chief economist from India
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|