GeM Portal: 1 Lakh Crore Procurement
In the current fiscal year, goods and services procurement from the government portal GeM has crossed the mark of Rs 1 lakh crore. This occurred due to a growth in the buying activities by various departments and ministries.
- With this newly achieved figure, GeM has been ranked among the world’s top five systems for e-public procurement.
- This portal has no Chinese products.
- In 2016 this portal was launched so that all the central ministries and departments can purchase goods and services online.
- Analyzing the current trend, the portal is expected to cross more than Rs 1.5 lakh crore.
- The central public sector enterprises (CPSE) procurement during the current fiscal stood at Rs 43,000 crore.
- Earlier it took the portal four and half years to cross Rs 1 lakh crore, but this time it has been achieved in the current fiscal.
- More than 10,000 start-ups have already registered on this portal.
- The portal also looks to empower the MSMEs of the country.
New features of the GeM Portal
GeM portal is also being integrated with the Panchayati raj institutions so that they can also buy and sell via online mode. Other new features that have been added include a mechanism for buyback that enables the buyers to replace their old products and get an additional discount or buyback.
Top buying states from this portal
Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, and Gujarat are among the top five states which are buying from this portal.
Who is allowed to carry out transactions through the GeM portal?
At present ministries, government departments, state governments, public sector units, and Central Armed Police Forces are allowed to transact through the GeM portal.
This portal offers a variety of products ranging from office stationery to vehicles. The top categories of products in this portal are computers, automobiles, and office furniture. Other listed services on this portal include waste management, logistics, web casting, transportation, and analytical.
Category: India Nation & States Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|