C. Rajagopalachari Formula of 1944
Objective of the C R Formula was to solve the political deadlock between the All India Muslim League and Indian National Congress. League’s position was that the Muslims and Hindus of British India were of two separate nations and hence the Muslims had the right to their own nation. The Congress was opposed to the idea of partitioning India.
- The Core principle of the CR Formula was a proposal for the Congress to offer the League the Muslim Pakistan based on plebiscite of all the peoples in the regions where Muslims made a majority. The main features were:
- The Muslim league was to endorse the demand for independence for the traditional period, i.e. Muslim league would support the congress’s demand for complete freedom and then majority provinces would go to plebiscite especially north eastern provinces.
- At the end of war a commission would demarcate those contiguous areas in NWFP and NEI where Muslims were in majority.
- In the event of separation, agreements would be and other essential purpose.
- The terms would be binding only in case of transfer by Britain of full power and responsibility for full governance of India.
The Muslim league endorsing the congress demand for full independence and cooperating with it in forming an interim government in the transition period.
C Rajgopalachari served as Governor of West Bengal from 1947 to 1948, Governor-General of India from 1948 to 1950, as Union Home Minister from 1951 to 1952 (invited after Patel’s death) and the Chief Minister of Madras state from 1952 to 1954. He resigned from the Indian National Congress and with NG Ranga, founded the Swatantra Party, which fought against the Congress in the in 1960s and early 70s. He has written the song Kurai Onrum Illai, which is sung in the Carnatic Music.
Topics: Indian independence movement • Indian National Congress • Kurai Onrum Illai • Muslim League • Pakistan Movement • Partition of India • Political parties • Politics of Asia • Politics of India • Vallabhbhai Patel
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|