Abhyas High-speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT)
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested Abhyas, which is a high-speed expendable aerial target (HEAT). This was flight-tested from Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur, off the Bay of Bengal coast in Odisha.
- Abhyas has been designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE), of DRDO.
- The test demonstrated the performance at low altitude including sustained level & high manoeuvrability.
- It has been designed for autonomous flying with the help of an autopilot system onboard.
- It is powered by a small gas turbine engine to sustain a long endurance flight at high subsonic speed.
- It is equipped with Micro-Electromechanical Systems-(MEMS) based Inertial Navigation System along with the flight control computer for guidance and control.
- Abhyas system is equipped with radar cross-section (RCS) and infrared signatures which can be used to simulate aircrafts for the practice of anti-aircraft warfare and also for the testing designed to aim aerial targets.
About Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE)
Aeronautical Development Establishment is an Aeronautical Systems Design House involved in the design and development of the Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) and Aeronautical Systems and technologies to meet the requirements of the Indian Armed forces. Major R&D activities are in the areas of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles, Pilotless target aircraft, Flight simulators, Air Weapons and Flight control systems.
It was established in 1958 with a mission to Design, develop and lead to production state-of-the-art sensors, weapon systems, platforms and allied equipment for our Defence Services. Dr G Satheesh Reddy is the current chairman of DRDO.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2022
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|