130th Edition of Durand Cup to be held in Kolkata
World’s third oldest and Asia’s oldest football tournament called Durand Cup, is all set to be held in Kolkata from September 5 to October 21, 2021.
- Durand Cup will be held after a year due to Covid-19 pandemic.
- Tournament will be organised with the support of All India Football Federation (AIFF), IFA (West Bengal) and Government of West Bengal.
- Year 2021 will mark the 130th Edition of Durand Cup.
About Durand Cup
The Durand Cup is the prestigious football tournament. It was first held in 1888, at Dagshai in Himachal Pradesh. This tournament has been named after Mortimer Durand. He was the then Foreign Secretary in charge of India.
Background of the tournament
This tournament was a conscious way to maintain health and fitness amongst the British troops. However, it was later opened to civilians. Presently, it is one of the leading sports events globally.
Mohun Bagan and East Bengal are the most successful teams of the Durand Cup. Both the teams have won for sixteen times each.
About the Trophy
Winning team is provided with three trophies
- President’s Cup which was first presented by Dr Rajendra Prasad
- Durand Cup- it is the original challenge prize and a rolling trophy and
- Shimla Trophy which was first presented by citizens of Shimla in 1903. Since 1965, it has become a rolling trophy.
Where it will be held?
The football Tournament was shifted from Delhi to Kolkata in 2019. 2019 Gokulam Kerala won the 2019 tournament by beating Mohun Bagan with 2-1 in the finals. Thus, Kolkata will again host this four-week long tournament. Sixteen participating teams from India, including four teams from the Services, will bring out the competitive and sportsman spirit to fight for the trophies.
Category: Sports Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|