Salient Features of Worlds Physical Geography
- Explain the formation of thousands of islands in Indonesian and Philippines archipelagos.
- Tropical cyclones are largely confined to South China Sea, Bay of Bengal and Gulf of Mexico. Why?
- Why are the world's fold mountain systems located along the margins of continents? Bring out the association between the global distribution of fold mountains and the earthquakes and volcanoes.
- Population-Resource Regions: Why tropical monsoon region is densely populated in comparison to the equatorial region?
- Give a brief account of the area distribution of mangroves in India. Discuss the Importance of mangrove conservation and its benefits.
- Discuss the key features of the drainage system of India's north east region while enumerating various rivers and their tributaries.
- Why do the major pressure belts and winds shift pole wards during summer season? Explain.
- If earth was completely solid and homogeneous throughout, how would have the P and S waves behave when they traveled through it? Explain while giving reference to how they actually behave.
- Describe three landforms each created due to (1) endogenous (2) exogenous forces.
- While elucidating their formation, account for the distribution of atolls around the globe within tropical and subtropical waters of oceans and seas.
- Do you agree that the demand for a separate time zone for North East has valid reasons? Looking at India's size, discuss the plausible solution to the problem faced by residents of North East due to IST.
- Monsoon forest and midlatitude deciduous forest are both deciduous but for different reasons. Compare the characteristics of these two formation classes and their climates
- Both the moist subtropical and moist continental climates are found on eastern sides of continents in the midlatitudes. What are the major factors that determine their temperature and precipitation cycles? How do these two climates differ?
- With suitable examples, discuss the various landforms associated with volcanic activities.
- What is the effect of geographic isolation on speciation? Discuss with suitable examples?
- The Himalayan Foothills abound in natural as well as artificial wetlands." Discuss with suitable examples.
- Describe the main characteristics of natural vegetation in Tropical grasslands and show how it is influenced by climate.
- Discuss the factors that induce Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. What strategies can be adopted to reduce the UHI effect? Explain.
- Draw a map indicating location of tropical rainforests in the world. Discuss their importance to mankind.
- Explain the terms: (1) Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis (2) Dry adiabatic lapse rate and moist adiabatic lapse rate.
- How are cold deserts formed? While giving names of three famous cold deserts in the world, describe their location.
- How are land and sea breezes formed? How these affect the microclimate of the coastal areas? Explain.
- What are the factors affecting the surface temperature of oceans? Discuss the impact of difference in sea surface temperatures of the tropical western and eastern Indian Ocean upon Climate of India.
- Differentiate between "Strait"and "Isthmus". Discuss the location of two straits and two isthmuses while focus on their economic and strategic importance.
- Explain the causes of the Indian Monsoon.
- Had there been no Himalayas, what would have been the winter climate in north India?
- What are the findings of the IPCC Special Report on the Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate?
- What is El Nino? Has the extreme El Niño become more often?
- Winter Solstice and its Significance
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.
Out of stock