Parliament and State Legislatures in India
- The size of the cabinet should be as big as governmental work justifies and as big as the Prime Minister can manage as a team. How far the efficacy of a government then is inversely related to the size of the cabinet? Discuss.
- Discuss the role of Public Accounts Committee in establishing accountability of the government to the people.
- Discuss the composition and functions of Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA). What is the relevance of creation of additional bodies comprising several ministers such as current government's Alternative Mechanism (AM) and previous government's GoM (Group of Ministers)?
- "During the first two decades of republic of India, the key attributes and highlights of Parliament were discourse and debate on issues of national importance. With the passage of time, this appears to have eroded and diminished." Do you agree with this view? Give arguments.
- What do you mean by the term Pro-tem speaker? Discuss the duties and functions of a pro-tem speaker.
- Bring out the aberrations of the parliamentary system of government in India.
- How the proposed higher education bill proposes for a watershed change in the Higher Education Sector in India?
- Even though the population has increased there has not been a similar increase in the number of elected representatives. How the strength of Lok Sabha is determined. Discuss why there has been a freeze.
- Discuss the provisions related to reservation of Anglo-Indian members in the Parliament, which has recently been removed.
- In recent times, post poll alliances between parties have become inevitable in electoral politics. Comment on the need for a legal framework to curb this unethical practice.
- President Donald Trump has become the third president in US history to be impeached by the House of Representatives. In this context discuss the procedure for impeachment of the President in India.
- The inefficiency of parliamentary committees is a roadblock to successful legislation. Analyze.
- There has been a decline in the performance of Parliamentary Standing Committees in recent times. What are the issues that have contributed to the decline and how these issues can be addressed?
- Highlight the role played by the MPLAD scheme in creating community assets based on local needs. Also discuss the issues associated with it.
- The outcome rather than the output is the true measure of efficiency of legislature. Discuss, in context of the functioning of parliament of India.
- The powers and privileges given to the legislature are essential for discharging their duties, however, there is a need to maintain balance between legislative privileges and fundamental rights.
- Highlight the importance of Kihoto Hollohan judgement in the light of issue of political defections in India.
- The parliamentary privileges in India are uncodified and this has led to their use for purposes other than they were intended for. In the light of this, examine the need for their codification.
- The Anti-Defection Law (ADL) has been violated and misinterpreted time and again. Suggest measures to strengthen the Anti-Defection Law.
- The effectiveness of laws in India can be improved by formalizing the process post-legislative scrutiny. Analyze.
- Highlighting the process of delimitation in India, throw some light on the debate surrounding it in India.
- In context of the recent tussle between the Governor of Kerala and the State government, explain the doctrine of pleasure.
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.
Out of stock