Infrastructure Ports Roads Airports Railways
- The setting up of a Rail Tariff Authority to regulate fares will subject the cash strapped Indian Railways to demand subsidy for obligation to operate non-profitable routes and services. Taking into account the experience in the power sector, discuss if the proposed reform is expected to benefit the consumers, the Indian Railways or the private container operators.
- International civil aviation laws provide all countries complete and exclusive severity over the airspace above the territory. What do you understand by airspace? What are the implications of these laws on the space above this airspace? Discuss the challenges which this poses and suggests ways to contain the threat.
- Explain how private public partnership agreements, in longer gestation infrastructure projects, can transfer unsuitable liabilities to the future. What arrangements need to be put in place to ensure that successive generations' capacities are not compromised?
- National urban transport policy emphasizes on moving people instead of moving vehicles. Discuss critically the success of various strategies of the government in this regard.
- What is Gagan Project? Examine its potential benefits with respect to India's civil aviation sector.
- Airlines spend some 13–15 percent of their revenues towards Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) and presently this revenue goes to countries outside India. What are roadblocks to a vibrant MRO industry in India? Discuss in the light of Draft National Civil Aviation Policy 2015.
- What do you understand by Open Sky policy? Discuss India's Open Sky Policy with reference to Draft National Civil Aviation Policy 2015.
- What do you understand by the so called 5/20 rule prevalent in Civil Aviation Sector in India. Discuss the dissenting views on this rule and current government stand in this context.
- To what extent forcing airlines to accept social obligation of flying to remote part of the country is justifiable? Discuss in the light of Route Dispersal Guidelines.
- Critically discuss the key proposals of Draft National Civil Aviation Policy 2015.
- Differentiate between the Major Ports and Minor Ports. What are the current issues in the Ports sector development in India? Discuss.
- What is the objective of the corporatization of the Ports? Do you think, corporatization of the ports will be a game changer in Port development in India?
- Discuss the salient features of the Sagarmala Project.
- What ails India's Road Transport Economy? Discuss the initiatives taken by the Government to expedite projects under NHDP.
- What do you understand by the Guarantee System in Indian Railways? Discuss its role in the initial years of Indian Railways.
- "For the betterment of Indian Railways, numerous committees and panels have been created from time to time."Examine the important committees and their recommendations.
- Critically discuss the key recommendations of Bibek Debroy Committee with reference to Indian Railways.
- To what extent the proposed Railway Regulatory Authority of India is different from earlier proposal of the Rail Tariff Committee. Critically examine its potential implications for Indian Railways.
- "Construction of Dedicated Freight Corridors will lead to multiplier effects for economy."Amplify.
- Critically examine the reasons that led to deterioration of the financial health of the Railways, while suggesting a solution framework for the same.
- Apart from being a commercial organization; Indian Railways is required to engage in so called Social Service Obligations. What are they and what is their importance to India? Examine.
- Critically discuss the introduction of private investment in Indian Railways taking examples of the experience of the western countries?
- Elucidate the Government policy on FDI in Indian Railways. To what extent, liberalization in this policy is in favour of the Indian Railways? Discuss keeping view the social impacts.
- "The need is for The Railways have to become lean and mean, competitive and efficient so that it can compete with the airlines for one segment of passengers, and with road transport for the movement of goods."Discuss in the light of various issues around restructuring the Railway Board.
- Enumerate the problems and prospects of inland water transport in India.
- Do you agree with the view that the public transport planning in India remains to be gender insensitive? With suitable examples, discuss initiatives undertaken by public transportation authorities in various parts of India keeping gender equity in focus.
- Critically examine the various issues around Railway safety in India.
- India's new civil aviation policy offers an open-sky policy covering the SAARC countries while it seeks a restrictive policy for countries that are within 5,000 kms from India. Examine the rationale while elucidating India's open sky pacts.
- Critically examine the concerns expressed by some in India's auto Industry that Electric Vehicles (EVs) will have huge socio-economic costs and will contribute to loss of millions of jobs in India.
- Do you think airlines can be run professionally under government control just as private airlines? Examine.
- For the last few years, non-major ports in India are gaining more share of cargo handling in comparison to the major ports. While analyzing the reasons of this trend, discuss what policy measures should be taken towards development of non-major ports in India.
- Discuss the extent, issues and possible remedies towards problems of Rail Finances in India
- Why India lacks way behind Sri Lanka and Singapore in development of Trans-shipment ports? Discuss the geographical / political reasons along with highlighting the government efforts so far.
- Economic Viability of Bullet Trains
- Examine the development of Airports in India through joint ventures under Public-Private Partnerships (PPP) Model. What are the challenges faced by the authorities in this regard?
- Assess the significance of coastal regions in the economic development of India.
- Urban Transport should be to "move people instead of vehicles". However, most big cities in India have failed to realize this goal in their public transport system. Discuss the reasons while suggesting how can India improve its public transport system?
- One of the objectives of the government's FAME scheme is that the country's public transport should be 100 per cent electric. What are challenges to achieve this over-ambitious goal? Discuss.
- To avoid frequent train derailments across the country, government is planning to introduce "ultrasonic broken rail detection system". Discuss the merits in this system while elucidating its key features.
- How is Indian government going to fix the issues which are stippling its Indian Airline industry?
- The Jet Airways case has takeaways for the bankruptcy code as well as for other airlines. Comment.
- How the BharatNet project seeks to revolutionise the connectivity in rural India?
- The Indian Railways need to improve its competitiveness if it needs to compete with the growing aviation sector. Discuss.
- Telecom Industry & AGR
- Motor Vehicle Act and its Effect
This is a dynamic E-Book comprising the below UPSC Mains Model Questions as well as their answers written by GKToday team. The PDF E-Book can be instantly downloaded after payment. No Hadcopy is provided.
Disclaimer: These questions have been written and answered by GKToday team over the period of time; and have included some previous years questions also. While every effort was made to ensure that these questions as well as their answers remain relevent and correct, it is possible, that some facts or context in some questions might have changed over time. GKToday does not assume and hereby disclaims any liability to any party for any loss, damage, or disruption caused by such change of facts or context in the questions and answers of this E-book.
Out of stock