Recently we read in the newspapers that NASA’s humanoid robot “Robonaut 2” has finally awakened in space. Ground controllers turned Robonaut for the first time since it was delivered to the International Space Station in February 2011. The test involved sending power to all of Robonaut’s system. Here is a brief info:
- Robonauts are part of humanoid robotic development project conducted by the Dextrous Robotics Laboratory at NASA’s Johnson Space Center (JSC) in Houston.
- The latest in the series is R2 or Robonaut-2.
- It was delivered to the International Space Center by STS-133 in Feb 2011.
- It has been designed to assist with crew.
- It is 4 times faster than its predecessor R1, is more dexterous, and includes a deeper and wider range of sensing.