Delhi: The Dhillika of Tomars
Delhi has a long history and is known to be the city called Indraprastha during the epic times. But historically Delhi’s name is associated with a Tomar King named Anangpal, who founded the Red Fort (Lal Kot) in the middle of the 11th century.
The first reference to the name of Dilli as Dhilli comes from the work of an apbhramsa writer Vibudh Shridhar.
The Lal Kot is the place where Qutub Mosque stands now.
The name of Anangpal is inscribed in the Iron Pillar of Delhi. This celebrated pillar of Chandragupta Vikramaditya was removed by Anangpal from its original position (probably Mathura) and set up in 1052 AD as adjunct to some temples in Delhi, which were later destroyed and a great mosque was constructed by the Mohammedans.
Anangpal was a ruler from Kannauj. His reign was from Agra to Hansi (Haryana) and Ajmer to Ganges. His dynasty lasted till 1151 when it was overthrown by Chauhan King Bisal Deo of Ajmer.