What is Alpha Global Union?
Recently, the Google workers from all around the globe have formed an international union called the “Alpha Global”. The new union has been named after Google’s parent company Alphabet. The union was formed in coordination with UNI Global Union.
About Alpha Global
- The Alpha Global union comprises of 13 different unions.
- These 13 unions represent the workers in 10 countries like United States, Switzerland, Germany, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- The grouping has been formed with the aim to “build a more ethical and accountable company.
- It also aims to bring together the direct Alphabet employees besides the temporary, vendor, and contract workers.
- For now, Alpha Global will not have a legally binding agreement with the company.
What is the need of Global Union?
The problems created by Alphabet are not limited to any one country. It is problematic to all of them. These problems can easily be addressed on a global level. Formation of such global Unions will help in finding solutions.
Alphabet Workers Union (AMU)
The alphabet workers union was launched by the United States and Canada. It is a minority union. It initially had over 200 workers affiliated with the Communications Workers of America. Within a week, AWU grew to over 700 members.
UNI Global Union
It was earlier known as the Union Network International (UNI). It is a global union federation for skills and services. It helps in gathering the national and regional trade unions. It is based in Nyon, Switzerland. This union federation represents more than 20 million workers from over 150 different countries in the skills and services sectors. The union represents the Cleaning & Security, Graphical & Packaging, Hair & Beauty, Information, Communication, Technology and Services Industry (ICTS). It also includes the Media, post and logistics, Entertainment and Arts, Private Care and Social Insurance, Women and Youth.
Category: International Current Affairs