Veteran actor Shashi Kapoor conferred with Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2014
Veteran actor and film producer Shashi Kapoor has been conferred with prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2014.
The award was bestowed upon him by Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley at a special function held in Prithvi Theatre in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
He is the 46th film personality to receive this honour and third member of his illustrious family after father Prithviraj Kapoor (1972- Posthumously) and elder brother Raj Kapoor (1987).
About Shashi Kapoor
- Born as Balbir Raj Prithviraj Kapoor on March 18, 1938 in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Started acting in films as a child in late 1940s. Since then he has appeared in 160 movies altogether, 12 being in English and the rest in Hindi.
- His Bollywood debut as a lead actor was in the film Dharmputra (1961).
- His best known performances as child artist were in Aag (1948), Awaara (1951) and Sangram (1950).
- He is also best-known for his performances in Hindi films like ‘Jab Jab Phool Khile’, ‘Deewar’ and ‘Kabhi Kabhie’.
- American and British films: The Householder (1963), Shakespeare Wallah (1965), Bombay Talkie (1970), Heat and Dust (1982), The Deceivers (1988), Side Streets (1998) etc.
- Apart from acting in movies, he also had worked as a film director, assistant director and film producer.
- Awards and Honours: For his contribution to cinema, he has been conferred many awards including
- National Film Award for Best actor for the film New Delhi Times (1986),
- National Film Award Special Jury Award / Special Mention (Feature Film) for Muhafiz (1993)
- National Film Award Best Feature Film in Hindi (as Producer) for Junoon (1979).
- Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award (2010).
- Padma Bhushan (2011).
About Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- India’s highest award in cinema.
- Established in 1969 to commemorate the birth centenary year of father of Indian cinema Dadasaheb Phalke.
- The award is conferred annually by the Union Government to person for his lifetime contribution to Indian cinema.
- Award comprises a Swarna Kamal (Golden Lotus) medallion, a cash prize of 10 lakh rupees and a shawl.
Month: Current Affairs - May, 2015
Category: Awards, Persons & Places in News