US court blocks Apple in Google battle
As per the ruling from Chicago federal court, US:
- Apple Inc. cannot pursue an injunction against Google’s Motorola Mobility unit.
– The court dismissed the lawsuit b/w Apple and Motorola Mobility with prejudice, implying that it can’t be re-filed.
Apple had hoped a decision against Motorola that would have helped it gain ascendancy in the smartphone market against Android.
Both parties have the option to appeal the ruling.
- Motorola filed lawsuit against Apple in October 2010, a move that was widely considered as a preventive strike against an imminent Apple lawsuit.
- Apple filed its own claims against Motorola the same month.
- Apple had claimed an injunction banning the sale of Motorola products that use Apple’s patented technology.
– But the court ruled that neither party is entitled to an injunction.
– The court found the injunction inapt since Motorola could design around the minor technological features covered by Apple’s patents.
– The Court also noticed that imposing an injunction would be an inappropriate bonanza for Apple and would be major damage to Motorola.
– As per the court Apple could not clearly prove that Motorola phones caused a loss of consumer goodwill significant enough for an injunction.
– The court was still asserting the Motorola claim against Apple
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2012