Union Government launches Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana in Patna
Union Government launched Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DUGJY) in Patna, Bihar.
The flagship scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi with an aim to provide 24×7 uninterrupted electricity supply to each rural household across the country by 2022.
Facts about Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DUGJY)
- It focuses on feeder separation for rural households and agricultural purpose.
- Seeks to strengthen the distribution and sub-transmission infrastructure, including metering at all levels in rural areas.
- Major components of the new scheme: strengthening of sub-transmission and distribution network, feeder separation, Metering at all levels including at input points, feeders and distribution transformers.
- It also seeks to strengthen Micro grid and off grid distribution network of rural electrification.
- Funds: The scheme has budgetary outlay of 76,000 crore rupees for implementation of the projects of which Union Government will provide grant of 63,000 crore rupees.
It should be noted that, this scheme replaces Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY), which was launched by previous UPA government led by then PM Manmohan Singh.
Apart from launching this scheme, Prime Minister also
- Flagged off Patna-Mumbai AC Suvidha Express and Rajgir-Bihar Sharif-Daniawan-Fatuha passenger train.
- Inaugurated the Daniawan-Bihar Sharif new railway line.
- Inaugurated campus of Indian Institute of Technology, Patna Campus.
Month: Current Affairs - July, 2015