Union Government approve Ramayana & Krishna Circuits under Swadesh Darshan Scheme
The Union Government has approved Ramayana and Krishna Circuits under Swadesh Darshan Scheme of the Union Ministry of Tourism.
These two tourism circuits were approved in the first meeting of National Committee on Ramayan Circuit and National Committee on Krishna Circuit chaired by Union Tourism and Culture Minister Mahesh Sharma.
- Ramayana Circuit: Under it 11 tourist destinations spread across 6 states have been proposed. The covered destinations are:
- Uttar Pradesh: Ayodhya, Shringhverpur Nandigram and Chitrakoot (ii) Bihar: Sitamarhi, Buxar and Darbhanga (iii) Telangana: Bhadrachalam (iv) Chattisgarh: Jagdalpur (v) Karnataka: Hampi (vi) Tamil Nadu:
- Besides expert committee has suggested to include Chitrakoot (Madhya Pradesh), Mahendragiri (Odisha), Nagpur and Nashik (Maharashtra) in the proposed circuit.
- Krishna Circuit: Under it 12 destinations spread across 5 states have been proposed. The destinations covered are:
- (i) Gujarat: Dwarka (ii) Rajasthan: Nathdwara, Jaipur and Sikar (iii) Uttar Pradesh: Mathura, Vrindavan, Barsana, Gokul, Nandgaon and Govardhan (iv) Odisha:
About Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- The Union Ministry of Tourism had launched the Swadesh Darshan Scheme in 2014-15 with an aim to develop theme based tourist circuits in the country.
- These tourist circuits will be developed on the principles of high tourist value, competitiveness and sustainability in an integrated manner.
- They will be developed by synergizing efforts to focus on concerns and needs of all stakeholders to enrich tourist experience and enhance employment opportunities.
- Under this scheme, 13 thematic circuits have been identified for development. They are Buddhist Circuit, North-East India Circuit, Coastal Circuit, Himalayan Circuit, Krishna Circuit, Desert Circuit, Eco Circuit, Wildlife Circuit, Tribal Circuit, Rural Circuit, Spiritual Circuit, Ramayana Circuit and Heritage Circuit.
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2016