Union Cabinet approves Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rurban mission for rural development
The Union Cabinet has approved Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rurban mission (SPMRM) for its ambitious bid to spur social, economic and infrastructure development in rural areas.
In this regard, Union Government has earmarked over 5,000 crore rupees for the mission to develop 300 clusters over next three years across the country.
- Aim: SPMRM through development of rurban growth clusters aims at catalyzing overall regional growth.
- Twin objectives: It seeks to achieve of strengthening rural areas and de burdening the urban areas. Thus it seeks for balanced regional development and growth of the country by simultaneously benefiting the rural as well as urban areas of the country.
- The State Governments would identify the clusters which have latent potential for growth in accordance with the Framework for Implementation.
- This framework will be prepared by the Union Ministry of Rural Development.
- The clusters will be geographically contiguous Gram Panchayats with different population and follow administrative convergence units of Gram Panchayats.
- Plain and coastal areas must have population of about 25000 to 50000, desert areas, hilly or tribal areas must have 5000 to 15000.
- There would be a separate approach for selection of clusters in Tribal and Non-Tribal Districts.
- States government will prepare Integrated Cluster Action Plans for Rurban Clusters. It will be comprehensive plan documents detailing out the strategy for the cluster development.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|