UNICEF: The State of World’s Children Report
The United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund-UNICEF provides emergency and healthcare to children and mothers in countries that were devastated by world war II. The organization releases “The State of the World’s Children Report” annually.
The report stated that despite of 40% drop in stunting of children in poor countries between 1990 and 2015, 149 million are still too short for their age.
Key findings of the report
- A third of world’s children under five years of age, which is around 700 million, have nutrition problems. They are undernourished or face overweight problems.
- 50 million are affected by wasting. Wasting is chronic thinness of the body which is mainly due to poverty.
- Only 2 out of 5 infants of breast fed. This is also a primary cause for increased undernourished children
- Japan has the least Infant Mortality Rate. In Japan no packed lunches are allowed in schools. School lunches are created by nutritionists and are provided in all schools through out Japan. Each meal is designed to have 600 to 700 calories.
- Japan has the lowest IMR. Out of children that are under age 5, 14.42% are obese or overweight. The US tops the UNICEF ranking with 41.86%, followed by Italy with 36.87% and France at 30.09%
International Day of Living Together in Peace: May 16
Every year, the International Day of Living Together in Peace is celebrated by United Nations and se...
International Day of Light: May 16
Every year, the International Day of Light is celebrated on May 16 by UNESCO and several other inter...
International Day of Families: May 15
Every year, the International Family Day is celebrated on May 15. It is also called the World Family...
What is happening in Gaza?
The tensions in the Gaza strip have been escalating since the Israeli police put a barricade at the ...
Assam-UNICEF Online Flood Reporting System
The Assam State Disaster Management Agency and the UNICEF has jointly developed an Online Flood Repo...
Category: Reports & Indexes Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|