Top GKToday’s News Headlines-23 January, 2020
Here are Top GKToday’s News Headlines for January 23, 2020.
- Cabinet approves additional term of reference (ToR) to the Other Backward Classes (OBC) sub-categorisation commission headed by Justice G. Rohini; extends its term till July 31, 2020
- ISRO to send lady robot ‘Vyommitra’ in unmanned Gaganyaan; Vyoma: Space, Mitra: Friend
- PM reviews status of several projects through PRAGATI — the ICT based multi-modal platform for Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation, involving Central and State governments.
- Daman designated as headquarters of newly-carved out Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu
- Govt. approves a model pact with foreign countries for recognition of seafarers’ competency certificates
- UP: ‘Mukhyamantri Krishak Durghatna Kalyan Yojana to provide financial assistance to farmers suffering accidents
ECONOMY & CORPORATE
- Cabinet approves closure of Hindustan Fluorocarbons Ltd.
- Cabinet approves Rs 4371.90 crore for permanent campuses of new National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
- Indian Oil to assist Ghana in implementation of National LPG Promotion Policy in the African nation
- India completes phasing out of ozone-depleting chemical Hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC)-141b
- Steel Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches SERVICE (SAIL Employees Rendering Volunteerism & Initiatives for Community Engagement)
SKOCH GOVERNANCE RANKINGS
- Gujarat tops SKOCH State of Governance 2019 ranking
- Gujarat, Maharashtra, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu were the top five “Star States”
- Star States are those where projects have performed the best in terms of rankings across different parameters
- India was ranked 51st (down 10 places) in 2019 Democracy Index – a ranking of 165 countries by Economist Intelligence Unit
- The index was topped by Norway, followed by Iceland and Sweden
- India was classified in the ‘flawed democracy’ category
- India was ranked 72nd (up 8 places) in 2020 Global Talent Competitiveness Index (GTCI)
- Switzerland topped the list of 132 countries, followed by the US and Singapore.
- Launched by INSEAD, GTCI ranks countries on the basis of their ability to grow, attract and retain talent
- Greece’s parliament elects 63-year-old Ekaterini Sakellaropoulou as the country’s first woman president
- Welsh comic legend actor, writer and co-founder of ‘Monty Python’ Terry Jones dies at 77
- Maharashtra retain Khelo India Youth Games champions trophy in Guwahati with 256 medals including 78 gold
- Rowing Federation of India (RFI) de-recognised by the Sports Ministry for violating the Sports Code during polls in Dec 2019
Category: Today's News Headlines
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|