Terror Attacks in Afghanistan
An alleged terrorist attack by the Taliban killed at least 25 pro-government Afghanistan Forces in the province of Baghlan, located in northern Afghanistan.
What is the Taliban?
- The Taliban is a fundamentalist religious and political movement which ruled most of Afghanistan between 1996 to 2001.
- The Taliban subscribes to a strict interpretation of the Sharia (Islamic law).
- The leader of the Taliban was Mohammed Omar and the Taliban was overthrown by the US-led military coalition after the 9/11 attacks.
- It had destroyed the ancient statues of Buddha at Bamiyan as they were viewed as the antithesis to Islam.
- Osama bin Laden was a leader of Al-Qaeda which was supported by the Taliban.
What s happening in Afghanistan?
Afghanistan is currently suffering from civil war after the US forces overthrew the Taliban. Afghanistan is the lynchpin in maintaining peace and stability in entire Central Asia. A civilian government has been established in the nation and various other countries, including India, are contributing to the reconstruction efforts. The India-Afghanistan Friendship dam, also known as the Salma Dam, has been constructed by India for the people of Afghanistan. India is also making steel plants (by SAIL) and Indian TV series have an enormous impact on Afghan people. This is a great example of Indian soft power in global diplomacy.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|