Survey of India launches web portal Nakshe
The Survey of India (SOI) has launched new web portal called Nakshe to make open series maps available to Indians for free.
The portal was launched by Union Minister for Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Harsh Vardhan on the occasion of 250th anniversary of SOI.
Features of Nakshe portal
- It will offer free download of 3,000 Topographic maps or Open Series Maps (OSM) in a pdf format on 1:50,000 scale through Aaadhar enabled user authentication process.
- The maps are meant for development activities in the country, and can be also used to plan scientific expeditions, research and planning development projects.
- Topographic maps or OSM comprise natural and man-made geographical features including terrain or topography.
About Survey of India (SOI)
- SOI is the principal mapping agency of the country. It comes under the Department of Science & Technology.
- Its origin can be traced back to Year 1767, making it oldest scientific department in India and one of the oldest survey establishments in the world.
- It prepares maps for defence and civilian purposes and are considered a standard reference for the shape, extent and geographic features of the country.
- SoI has surveyed and mapped each and every part of the country and these maps have played valuable role in nation building and were pivotal in almost all major developmental activities of modern India.
- Note: Foundation for the scientific survey and mapping of the country was laid with The Great Trignometric Survey (GTS) in 19th century on 10th April, 1802, by noted surveyors Col. Lambton and Sir George Everest.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|