Two states, three UTs achieve 100% inclusion under PMJDY
Union Finance Ministry has announced that Goa and Kerala became the first states in the country to achieve 100 percent Financial Inclusion under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
Union Finance Ministry also announced that three Union Territories (UTs) namely Chandigarh, Puducherry and Lakshadweep achieved 100 percent financial inclusion under PMJDY.
According to official data available till 5th November, 11.26 lakh bank accounts were opened in Kerala, followed by 77, 485 accounts in Goa, 1.36 lakh accounts in Chandigarh, 69819 accounts in Puducherry and 3588 accounts in Lakshadweep under the Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY).
Finance Ministry has declared States of Kerala and Goa, union territories of Chandigarh, Puducherry and Lakshadweep and three districts of Gujarat- Porbandar, Mehasana, Gandhinagar as 100 per cent saturated in terms of coverage of all households with at least one bank account.
According to Finance Ministry
- PMJDY so far managed to bring over 5000 crore rupees into the formal banking system as account holders have started depositing cash. A large chunk of this money would have been kept at home in the absence of accounts, with little or no productive use.
- According to the initial results, on an average about 80% of the households surveyed have now got at least one bank account.
- As in the first week of November 2014, 7.24 crore accounts have been opened under PMJDY of which 4.29 crore in rural and 2.95 crore are in urban areas. RuPay Cards have been issued in case of 3.97 crore accounts.
- At the time banks had been given a target of opening 7.5 crore accounts under the scheme.
- Each of the accounts come with a debit card, 1 lakh rupees accidental insurance policy and 30000 rupees free medical insurance cover.
About Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
On 28th August 2014, Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the scheme with the goal of eradicating financial untouchability of the poor by opening at least one bank account for every family in the country in less than six months.
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|