State of Biscuit Makers in India
The hard-hitting Indian economic crisis has also taken a toll on the Biscuit makers in India.
What has happened?
- The Indian Rural economy is in shambles and is facing a significant credit crunch which has been magnified by successive droughts and crop failures.
- The rural sector is one of the largest consumers of small biscuit packets which make up a large share of domestic sales for food companies in India.
- The lack of buying has forced the food companies to cut back production, reduce input costs or even cut jobs to stay competitive in the market.
- The two leading biscuit makers in India, Britannia, and Parle have both suffered great losses and are undergoing a virtual faceoff with detrimental finances in their books.
What is Brittania doing?
- To tackle the adverse economic conditions, the FMCG major Britannia Industries has planned to increase the prices of its products by a small margin in the quarter three of the current fiscal year to tackle the economic slowdown.
- The company claims that the falling economy has taken a toll on the growth of the company’s sales in gross value terms.
What is Parle doing?
- The company Parle is facing an even more adverse situation with sales of all its products, even its iconic flagship product, the Parle G is down 7-8%.
- This has forced the biscuit maker to lay-off over 10,000 workers out of its over 1 lakh employees.
OECD interim ‘Economic Outlook’
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) published its interim Economic Out...
Defence Canteens ban import of finished goods
The Government controlled Canteen Stores Department that operates canteens of defence forces are to ...
Indian Economy to Shrink by 9.5% in FY 2020-2021: ICRA
The credit rating agency, ICRA, has predicted that the Indian economy will see a major slowdown in t...
GoI: White Paper released on Focused Interventions for Make in India
On July 10, 2020, the Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan released white paper...
Modi to launch ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan’ on June 20
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is going to launch ‘Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyan’ on June 20 to enha...
Category: Economy & Banking Current Affairs
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|