Sister Nirmala Joshi, successor of Mother Teresa passes away
Sister Nirmala Joshi, former Superior General of Missionaries of Charity passed away in Kolkata after brief illness. She was 81.
She had taken over as Superior General in March 1997 after the death of Mother Teresa.
About Sister Nirmala Joshi
- Sister Nirmala Joshi was born in 1934 in Ranchi, erstwhile Bihar and Orissa province of British Indian Empire (now the capital of Jharkhand) in Hindu family.
- She had joined the Missionaries of Charity in 1976 after she had dedicated herself to the service of the poor after getting inspired by the work of Mother Teresa.
- Sister Nirmala was elected as Superior General of the Missionaries of Charity six months before Mother Teresa’s death (September 5, 1997).
- She had played important role expanding the organisation’s reach by opening centres in 134 countries including in Afghanistan, Israel and Thailand.
- Her term as Superior General of Missionaries of Charity had ended on 25 March 2009. She was succeeded by German-born Sister Mary Prema Pierick, M.C.
- Awards: She was bestowed with the Padma Vibhushan, India’s second highest civilian award in 2009 for her services to the nation.
Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw honoured with ‘Order of Australia’
Indian entrepreneur and the Chairperson and Managing director of Bio Limited, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw wa...
5 September: International Day of Charity observed
The International Day of Charity is observed every year on September 5 across the world. It aims to ...
Fact Box: Sushma Swaraj
Former Union External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, passed away after suffering a cardiac arrest i...
Renowned Tamil novelist Thopil Mohammed Meeran dies aged 74
The well-known Tamil writer and Sahitya Akademi awardee Thopil Mohammed Meeran passed away at the ag...
Famous classical singer Pandit Arun Bhaduri passed away
Famous classical singer Pandit Arun Bhaduri passed away on 17th December 2018 at the age of 75, afte...
Month: Current Affairs - June, 2015
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|