Seventh Economic Census
The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation will be conducting the seventh economic census after the gap of 5 years.
Features of the Economic Census
- Economic Census undertakes the complete count of all establishment located within the geographical boundary of the country.
- The census will cover all establishments including household enterprises, engaged in production or distribution of goods or services in the non-farm agricultural and non-agricultural sector will be counted.
- The Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation has partnered with CSC e-Governance Services India Limited, a Special Purpose Vehicle under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology as the implementing agency for the seventh economic census.
- The economic census will be carried out through an IT-based digital platform for data capture, validation, report generation and dissemination.
- The Economic Census aims to prepare a National Business Register which can be linked with existing databases at the central and state government levels.
- The Business register will list of all establishments, tagged by geographical location up to village/ward level for local level planning purposes and provide information on a number of workers working in establishments (which are under operation), activity-wise and area-wise.
- The Economic Census also aims to put in place a threshold turnover in monetary terms for households/ establishments for inclusion in the coverage of the Census.
- It will identify villages with no economic activity for policy purposes.
Task group comprising representatives from NCAER, EPIC-India, Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, labour and employment ministry, GST Network, Reserve Bank of India and NITI Aayog, will look at technical modalities related to the conduct of the census.
Topics: CSC e-Governance Services India Limited • Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion • economic census • Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology • Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation • National Business Register • NITI Aayog • Reserve Bank of India • seventh economic census