Sagarmala Seaplane Services Project
The Government of India is to initiate the project of Sagarmala Seaplane Services on selected routes.
- Which ministry is implementing the Sagarmala Seaplane services?
- What is the main objective of Sagarmala Seaplane services?
- Under which Central Government scheme will the seaplane services operate?
- What are the proposed locations for sagarmala seaplane services?
- What is the seaplane service that is already in operation in India?
- Why are the Seaplane Services needed?
Which ministry is implementing the Sagarmala Seaplane services?
Ministry of sports, shipping and waterways.
What is the main objective of Sagarmala Seaplane services?
The project aims to provide air connectivity to numerous tourist, religious, remote and unexplored locations near water bodies. This is to make the journey easier and simulate tourism on these new locations. Ultimately the project will contribute to boost the GDP of the country in the long run.
Under which Central Government scheme will the seaplane services operate?
Udan. Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik scheme.
What are the proposed locations for sagarmala seaplane services?
The locations included under the Sagarmala Seaplane Services are as follows:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Lakshadweep Islands
- Guwhati riverfront
- Yamuna riverfront
- Umrangso reservoir
- Mumbai as a hub
- Khindsi dam
- Erai Dam
What is the seaplane service that is already in operation in India?
The sea plane service between kevadiya and Sabarmati riverfront in Ahmedabad is already in Operation. It was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 31, 2019.It is operated by SpiceJet subsidiaries Spice shuttle. Currently this is the only seaplane service that is operational in the country.
Why are the Seaplane Services needed?
- The seaplane services are to act as a game changer in providing faster and comfortable transportation all over India.
- It will provide air connectivity to various tourist and religious places. Therefore, it will bring in huge tourism revenue.
- The seaplane services will save travel time.
- It will stimulate localised short distance travelling in hilly regions and across rivers and lakes.
- Increasing connectivity across India will improve tourism and make India as an attractive destination for tourists.