Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant
Recently, India made a deal with Bangladesh where Indian companies will develop the transmission lines of Bangladesh Rooppur Nuclear power plant. Some facts about Rooppur Nuclear power plant.
- It is an under-construction 2.4 GWe nuclear power plant in Bangladesh.
- It is being constructed at Rooppur (Rupppur) in the Pabna District of Bangladesh, on the bank of Padma River.
- There are two units of plants which are expected to be completed in 2022 and 2024 respectively. Each will produce 1200MW of electricity.
- It has significance as it will be the Bangladesh’s first nuclear power plant.
- The Rooppur project is the first initiative under the Indo-Russian deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
- A tripartite Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in March 2018, was signed at Moscow, Russia between Russia, Bangladesh and India for the Rooppur Nuclear Power Project.
- It is to be built by the Russian Rosatom State Atomic Energy Corporation.
- In June 2018, Infrastructure major, Hindustan Construction Company Ltd. (HCC) was given contract for Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant.
- The Russian side is making the project on “turnkey” basis which says, the contractor will be liable for any problems that arise in the plant.
- It will be for the first time when any Indian company will be involved in any nuclear project out of the country. Since India is not a Nuclear Supplier group (NSG) member, it cannot participate directly in construction of Atomic power reactors.
Category: International Current Affairs