Right to Recall Panchayat Member Bill of Haryana: Key Facts
The Haryana Government passed a bill on November 6 which provides a right to recall an elected member of Panchayati Raj Institutions if they fail to perform their duties well. The state government also provided 50% reservation to women in these bodies.
Key Facts of Haryana’s Right to Recall Panchayat Member Bill
- The Haryana Panchayati Raj (Second Amendment) Bill, 2020 was tabled by Deputy Chief Minister Dushyant Chautala in the house on the last day of Vidhan Sabha Session.
- The bill allows recalling village sarpanches and members of district-level zila parishads and block-level panchayat samitis if they fail to perform their duties.
- Thus, with this bill, members of Panchayati Raj Institutions can be removed even before the end of their tenure.
- In order to recall any member, 50% members of a gram sabha or a ward will have to provide in writing that they want to initiate recall proceedings for the member. This will be done followed by a secret ballot in which there should 2/3rd of the total member votes against the member to be recalled. If 2/3rd votes are casted against the member; he/she will be removed.
- The bill also proposed to provide a reservation of 8% to the “more disadvantaged” among the Backward Classes.
- The bill also aimed to increase the women participation in the Panchayati Raj Institutions thereby provided 50% reservation to women in gram panchayats, zila parishads and panchayat samitis.
This bill will help in increasing the accountability of Panchayat members to the voters as now they can be removed from their posts if they do not perform well. It is a significant bill passed by the state government and can prove very effective in development in rural areas.
Haryana Chief Minister- Manohar Lal Khattar
Union Minister of Panchayati Raj- Narendra Singh Tomar
|View All E-Books: Recent Release|