Rani Singh Nair appointed as Chairman of CBDT
Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Rani Singh Nair has been appointed as Chairperson (Chairman) of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
Her appointment was confirmed by Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) headed by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
She will be in office till October 31, 2016 and shall succeed then acting chairman Atulesh Jindal who retired on 30 July 2016.
About Rani Singh Nair
- She is 1979-batch IRS officer of the Income Tax cadre.
- Prior to this appointment she was working as member (Legislation and Computerisation) at CBDT.
- She was been instrumental in framing the procedures and protocols that led to the roll-out of the ambitious Income Declaration Scheme (IDS) which aims at bringing undisclosed income and assets into tax net.
About Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT)
- CBDT is nodal policy-making body of the Income Tax (IT) department under the Union Finance Ministry. It is also the supreme body in India for framing policies related to direct taxes.
- It is a statutory authority established under The Central Board of Revenue Act, 1963. The composition of CBDT includes Chairman and six members.